Here’s a list with some helpful hints and advice. Calm down. And start getting ready for the trip of a lifetime.
Firstly- the things that seem obvious but are often forgotten, you don’t want to be spending extra money on items like:
- First aid kit
- Contact lenses
Secondly, what NOT to bring:
- Pets – Australian Border Security won’t let Rover come in with you
- Aunt Mavis’s special home-made jam – again Border Security won’t let you in with raw food items. Call Australian Customs for more information: call +61 2 9313 3010 or visit Australian Customs.
Bring a little of your home country with you:
- Family photos
- Cultural artifact for culture cafe (these are displayed on the university campus)
- Traditional dress
- Recipes from home to cook for yourself/new friends
Here are some items that will make life a little easier:
- Adaptor for technical goods (to charge phones, laptops)
- Copies of your important travel documents i.e. travel insurance/passport
- Some Australian money- NO currency exchange at Townsville airport.
- Driver’s license
Before and for the big trip:
- Snacks (check with customs)
- CHECK BAGGAGE limits for internal Australia flights- excess baggage can be expensive
- Bring a copy of the university phone number and address of where you’re going to stay in your carry-on luggage.
Some serious things:
- Medications- don’t assume you can get the same medications in Australia. Don’t bring prescriptions- they can’t be filled here. Check with Customs (+61 2 9313 3010) to see how much medication you can bring with you.
- Letters from doctor if you have an existing medical condition
And, finally, the fun things:
- Camera- obvious really, but this important recorder-of-memories is sometimes left behind.
- Phone (check that it works in Australia first)
- Sense of fun and adventure- very important!
- And of course you’re here to learn and have fun so – a SMILE.
Find out how you can apply to James Cook University!