Upcoming CaRMS examination deadlines
The Medical Council of Canada (MCC), in partnership with the International Medical Graduate (IMG) programs, offers the National Assessment Collaboration (NAC) examination to international medical graduates and students seeking entry into residency in Canada.
As discussed at the OzTREKK Medical Licensing Seminars this past June, the MCC were recently notified that the NAC examination will be a requirement for international medical graduates and students applying to all residency positions in Ontario for the July 1, 2015 start date. The NAC examination is already a requirement for certain other provinces and residency programs.
Candidates must hold a valid pass result on the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) to be eligible to apply for the NAC examination. To provide medical students in their final year the opportunity to take the NAC examination, the MCC has changed the eligibility criteria for the MCCEE. International medical students can now apply to take the MCCEE within the final 20 months of their medical school program.
Candidates who wish to take the September 2014 NAC examination must take the MCCEE at the very latest by the March 2014 session.
If candidates are considering applying to the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS) 2015 R-1 Main Residency Match and wish to have their NAC examination results considered as part of the CaRMS application process,
- they must apply for the MCCEE and submit the required documentation as soon as possible.
- once their application to the MCCEE is accepted, they must schedule and take the MCCEE by the March 2014 session. If they take the MCCEE after the March session, candidates will not receive their results in time to apply to the September 2014 NAC examination (exceptions will not be made).
- they must apply early to allow time for their MCCEE application to be processed by the MCC and, once accepted, to then schedule their examination date and location through Prometric.
- candidates who have taken the MCCEE in March 2014 or earlier and who have received a pass result can apply for the September 2014 NAC examination in spring 2014.
- results from the September 2014 NAC examination will be provided in time for the CaRMS 2015 R-1 Main Residency Match. The following session of the NAC examination, in March 2015, will be too late for consideration as part of the 2015 R-1 Main Residency Match.
About the OzTREKK Canadian Medical Licensing SeminarsEach year, OzTREKK hosts its annual Canadian Medical Licensing Seminars across Canada, which are exclusive to students who submit their Australian medical school application via OzTREKK. These seminars provide the latest information regarding the accreditation and medical licensing process in Canada, as well as outline options for internships in Australia and other destinations.
Find out more about studying medicine in Australia at the following Australian universities:
- James Cook University Medical School
- Monash University Medical School
- University of Melbourne Medical School
- University of Queensland Medical School
- University of Sydney Medical School