1. The Sydney Faculty of Dentistry has a proud and successful history of more than 100 years of dental education. They are consistently ranked among the top dentistry schools in the region.
2. The modern curriculum focuses on medical, behavioural and clinical sciences, while developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
3. The courses emphasise clinical experience, beginning in the first year of study, through the Sydney Dental Hospital and Westmead Centre for Oral Health, as well as regional rotations including Bathurst, Bowral, Albury, Cessnock, Dubbo and Ballina.
4. Students receive outstanding supervision and teaching by leading dental professionals, researchers and academics.
5. Students will be able to practice as a dental health professional (oral health therapist, dentist or dental specialist) immediately after graduating.
6. Sydney Dental School offers numerous research training opportunities with links to other health faculties, focusing on general and oral health issues in local, national and international communities.
7. Students can embark on a journey of intellectual discovery by participating in research around the priority themes of chronic disease management and healthy ageing.
8. Dental students have access to student membership of prestigious, professional associations, which provide mentoring, support and real-world advice.
9. A dynamic student association, the Sydney University Dental Association (SUDA), unites and leads the student community.
10. The faculty has a commitment to engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, through dental services, oral health education and research in partnership with Aboriginal Medical Services in regional communities.
University of Sydney Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)The Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) has been purposefully designed to adhere to the well-rounded course structure of the North American postgraduate dental school model, but has also maintained the sophisticated clinical training for which the University of Sydney has come to be renowned, giving students an applicable knowledge of dental health from the community to the laboratory.
Sydney Dental School is about comprehensive learning, and embracing all the aspects of becoming a successful dentist. Sub-units integrate academic disciplines such as endodontics and orthodontics with the requisite training needed to evolve dental health knowledge into the highly specialized skills of a dental health professional.
Students seeking to pursue careers beyond simply practicing dentistry can learn about their options from the members of the several research initiatives housed in Sydney’s Faculty of Dentistry including the “Cellular Molecular Pathology Research Unit,” the “Jaw Function and Orofacial Pain Research Unit,” and the world’s oldest-named dental institute, Sydney’s own “Institute of Dental Research.”
Application TimelineApplication deadline for the 2015 intake: July 7, 2014 (10 a.m. Sydney time)
Interview invitations: July 16 – 19, 2014
Interviews held: July 28 – August 1, 2014 & August 4 – 5, 2014
Offers will begin to be sent: August 11, 2014
Late round interview invitations: September 29 – October 2, 2014
Late round interviews held: October 13 – 15, 2014
Late round offers: October 20, 2014