Highly qualified academics with research experience from leading universities around the world deliver the course using lectures, pre-clinical practical classes and clinical patient treatments in all specialties of dentistry.
Learning Outcomes of the Melbourne DDS
- acquire essential factual knowledge to become a general dentist and leader of the oral health team
- disease processes and mechanisms together with their aetiologyclinical manifestations, prevention and treatment
- professional skills and attitudes expected of a dental practitioner
- the ability to critically appraise research evidence relevant to common oral problems
- induce oral health changes in individual patients and their families
- practice effectively in oral health promotion and education
- achieve the competencies identified by the Dental Practice Boards of Australia necessary for practice as a registered general dentist
- communicate effectively with patients and their relatives, also with professional colleagues and members of other health professions
University of Melbourne Dental SchoolThe Melbourne DDS incorporates all aspects related to the provision of advanced general dental care to patients as well as teaches students to prepare, develop, execute and write for publication a small research project. Students will spend their entire final year in clinical settings including the planned Melbourne Dental School private dental clinic, community health centres and rural community clinics which will include provision of oral health care to the aboriginal community. Students will also learn how to run a private practice based on a small-business model.
Program: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Semester intake: February
Duration: 4 years
Application Deadline for the 2016 Intake: June 30, 2015. Please note that all application documents must be received by Monday, June 29, 2015 at 12 noon in order for your complete application to be submitted to the university on time.