Teaching English as a second language
Interested in teaching English as a second language? Check out these programs from Macquarie:
Graduate Certificate of TESOLThe Graduate Certificate of TESOL is a course designed for prospective teachers wishing to teach English to speakers of other languages. The course prepares students for a variety of language teaching contexts in Australia and overseas. It integrates current theory and practice of TESOL, including teaching methodologies, programming and planning, and linguistics for language teaching. A range of language learners is considered, varying by age, social and cultural backgrounds.
- Qualified teachers obtain a recognised EAL specialisation.
- New teachers are qualified to teach in a range of language learning institutions.
- The program includes an integrated professional experience unit involving a teaching practicum in a school or simulated school setting.
- All course units may be taken in on-campus blended mode and/or online mode.
- The course provides a pathway to further study in Applied Linguistics and TESOL.
- All teaching staff are qualified TESOL instructors with wide ranging teaching experience and are actively researching areas of TESOL and Applied Linguistics.
Master of Applied Linguistics and TESOLThe Master of Applied Linguistics and TESOL covers theoretical and methodological issues relevant to practitioners in a variety of professions whose work is concerned with applied language study. It is internationally relevant and focuses on the development of analytic skills and understanding the complex relationship between language use and context, and research in these areas. The degree is designed to allow candidates to study a broad range of topics within the area of Applied Linguistics. In particular, the degree has been designed to provide a strong theoretical and practical foundation in the field of teaching English as a second or foreign language. Much of the content of the program is also relevant to teachers of other languages.
- Allows you the opportunity to study with one of the largest and most diverse Linguistics departments in Australia, which features four research centres
- Offers flexible study options allowing you to study on-campus, distance (online), or mixed
- Provides an internationally relevant and highly regarded qualification