University of Newcastle Bachelor of PharmacyProgram: Bachelor of Pharmacy Honours
Location: Callaghan, Newcastle, New South Wales
Duration: 4 years
Semester intake: February
Application deadline: Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible.
- Applicants are required to have completed their high school diploma in order to be eligible for entry to the University of Newcastle’s Bachelor of Pharmacy program.
- Assumed knowledge: Mathematics, English Advanced, Chemistry and Physics. Applicants who have not studied these courses should consider taking relevant bridging courses before the commencement of the university year.
- If you have commenced or completed a university degree or any post-secondary studies, your most recent studies will be assessed in terms of your grades. If you have not completed the necessary prerequisite subjects in your post-secondary studies, your high school transcripts will then be assessed for prerequisite subjects. Applicants are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- The minimum average for admission for those who have completed university studies is a cumulative average of 65%; however, meeting minimum entry requirements does not guarantee entry into the program.
Pharmacy students will develop and practice the core competencies required to work in clinical, hospital and community pharmacy settings. These attributes include strong interpersonal and communication skills, clinical leadership and ability to provide health care to culturally diverse communities.
In particular, students will study
- core biomedical sciences, including anatomy and physiology;
- dosage formulations;
- drug design and discovery;
- mental health first aid;
- epidemiology and pharmacoeconomics; and
- clinical leadership and communication.
Through research, students can further investigate drug design and discovery, formulation development, pharmacy practice, personalised health care and health technologies assessment, such as pharmacoeconomics. This foundation in research helps prepare graduates for a career in a rapidly evolving global environment.