Newcastle Law is Australia’s leading clinical law school and was the first in the country to offer an integrated learning experience. Your degree integrates experiential learning and skills training with the conventional legal curriculum, including a wide range of elective courses.The Juris Doctor and the embedded Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice is designed to equip students with the knowledge, clinical experience and qualification for admission into legal practice in Australia. Students will study the JD concurrently with the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, allowing them to develop both high-level academic and legal skills, while also providing practical and real-world experience.
Gain experience through national competitions
University of Newcastle law students have a competitive reputation and frequently excel in national law competitions.
- Winner of the best online initiative at a national level – Australian Law Students’ Association (ALSA)
- Second in the ALSA annual national paper presentation competition.
- Quarter finalist in the ALSA national client interviewing competition.
- UoN highly commended Club of the year
- Quarter finalist in the ALSA national witness examination competition
- Quarter finalist in the ALSA national client interviewing competition
- Quarter finalist, Sir Harry Gibbs Constitutional Law Moot
- Winner, UNSW Intervarsity Client Interviewing Competition
- Winner, UNSW Intervarsity Negotiation Competition
- Quarter finalist, Michael Kirby Contract Law Moot
- Best oralist in Ashurst Private Law Moot general rounds
University of Newcastle Law SchoolProgram: Juris Doctor (JD)
Location: Newcastle (Callaghan)
Duration: 3 years
Semester intake: February
Application deadline: Candidates are encouraged to apply at least three months prior to the program’s start date.
Entry to the program is available to students that have successfully completed a 3-year bachelor degree in any discipline other than law, from a recognized institution.