University of Melbourne Doctor of Dental Surgery admissions timeline
The Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree leads to registration as a general dental practitioner with the Dental Practice Board in Australia and New Zealand. Additionally, the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) recognizes the reciprocal agreement between the Australian Dental Council and the Commission of Dental Accreditation of Canada, which allows for accredited graduates of either body to practice dentistry in Australia or Canada. For Canadian students studying at the University of Melbourne, this means that they will return home and follow the same process as Canadian domestic graduates with licensure being granted after successfully sitting the National Dental Examination Board of Canada.
With state-of-the-art technologies, the Melbourne DDS uses new infrastructure, including a 100-seat pre-clinical laboratory and the new Melbourne University Dental Clinic, for advanced clinical teaching.
Highly qualified academics with research experience from leading universities around the world deliver the course using lectures, pre-clinical practical classes and clinical patient treatments in all specialties of dentistry.
The curriculum is based on scientific evidence in oral health, imparting advanced philosophies, skills and knowledge related to all areas of clinical dental practice and research.
As part of the four year full-time degree, students spend significant time in provision of patient care, using advanced materials and clinical methods, as well as undertake a two-year research project in oral health. In final year, students have the unique opportunity to experience working in a private practice setting, and they learn how to run a small business.
Admissions Timeline for 2018 Intake
- Application deadline: July 28, 2017
- Last date to submit DAT results: July 28, 2017
- Last date to submit university transcripts (final results): July 28, 2017
- Offers of admission begin to be issued: October 18 – 19, 2017
- Deadline to meet any conditions of offer: November 10, 2017
- Deadline to accept (unconditional) offer of admission and pay deposit: November 10, 2017
- Enrollment deadline: January 12, 2018
- Mandatory DDS Orientation: January 22, 2018 (TBC)
- First day of class: January 22, 2018 (TBC)
Melbourne Doctor of Dental SurgeryProgram: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Next intake: January 2018
Duration: 4 years
Application deadline: July 28, 2017